" "

Saturday, November 27, 2021

Stupidity Cupidity » 3

 


New Lens; and the stupid cupids


So, you mean to say Nandini, my cousin sister Nandini, my maternal uncle’s daughter Nandini is in love. With whom? With the ever monstrous monster, my one and only best friend, the silent killer, the angry-young man, Manik.”


Calm Mukti calm, Mukti kept repeating in her head.


“Yes, Cabir." She replied. 


“But...How? When? No no…this cannot be. You must have been mistaken Mukti. Nandini hates …HATES Manik. You do not know how she glares at me when I speak about Manik in front of her."


No, she was not listening to Cabir's rant about Nandini avoiding Manik again.


“What exactly is your problem with Manik and Nandini being together?” Mukti finally asked the question that was nagging her when Cabir straightforward denied that Nandini loves Manik.


“Trust me Mukti, I don’t have any problem.  I will be the happiest if they are together. It just does not fit in.” Cabir said. He didn't know how to say that he was afraid of his best friend getting hurt.


“Oh, don’t give me that crap. I know there is something. Just spit it out.” Mukti said. Cabir sighed.


“I am afraid that what Nandini feels is just like or infatuation and if something more than she might have a crush on Manik but I highly doubt it. I just don’t want Manik to be hurt.”


“She is your sister. Did you even think if Manik hurts her?” Mukti asked listening to the ridiculousness of Cabir's thought.


“I know Mukti. Trust me, I care. But what I can say without a second thought is Manik’s love is genuine cause this is the first and trust me when I say this, this is the first time he has spoken the ‘L’ word. He straight out said, “I love Nandini.” And in all these years never had he told me that then just think.” Before Mukti could interrupt he continued, “And Manik was never loved. They called him a mistake that also a drunken mistake. In addition, coming from a person who does not know what love is that he is in love is just indescribable. You might say how one who does not know love gives the same to another? However, knowing Manik, for him love means home as per my words, but If Manik said then he will say ‘his destiny, his world.’ Tell me can you doubt now that he will ever hurt someone he loved for the first time; Someone who taught him what this feeling of complete warmth was; Someone who was his first and might be last forever-at least in his heart and soul?”


Mukti was at a loss for words. Can such a proclaimed selfless lover who is all ready to love someone for eternities in just his heart with just her memories ever exist? But again, isn’t Nandini the same she thought.


“Nandini is the same Cabir; she had her fair share of insecurities, her demons, her fears yet she kept her past aside and accepted her feelings. I don’t know if you know but she never had a true friend in school; it was only you but after you got Manik it was like she was all alone for herself with no support of someone of her age.” Mukti informed Cabir.


“I won’t say it’s not my fault that Nandini was alone. I know I was not there when she needed me. When all that fiasco happened in school and when her parents were not helping either. And I know from where you are coming from as you were somehow dragged in that fiasco so you might blame yourself for Nandini too.” Cabir stated but Mukti did not correct him. Did she blame herself? No, Never. Was Cabir correct? Not. However, like always she remained quiet. Wasn’t this a habit of hers to let people think as if they know her but did anyone know? The answer was, is, and might forever be a big No.


“But Mukti, I was there at least in her happiness and other times. Not as a friend but as a brother I was and she knows that too. What I know about Nandini is she shares her happiness with others but when it’s time to share her sadness, she shuts down herself. She isolates herself from others, does not talk to anyone, remains coped in her room with her favorite novel, but does not share. And slowly she drifts apart despite others pleading with her to share. She has so many people to share but it’s her decision to show anger as if we are at fault. She never understood that we won’t pity her but be there for her because she was loved.” Mukti was shocked listening to everything because the way Nandini said everything was nothing in front of what Cabir said.


“I know you might think how that’s possible? But Nandini was always the smallest and pampered to no extent. But slight comparison, slight rudeness, a little rise of voice and she will be in tears. With time, she got mature but that pampered girl was still there. And with just a slightly different behavior, she became insecure and it got the worst out of her. Like her parents sometimes felt proud of how you were so good at Sports then she won’t outright say don’t compare but take that as competition. Might have heard of how she tried weight loss and all but she could not. It was not that she could not but her parents would not because they never wanted their child to be hungry or diet and feel their beauty lacks. They were content with how Nandini was. They were proud trust me. But which parents don’t compare their children with others. Mine did and if you ask so does that of every child. Some might go overboard but one’s in a blue moon it was like a dose for a child to do better. But for Nandini, it was always competition. She didn’t like her flaws pointed out and her parents tried to remove her habit until school but could not and after school let her do as per her choice. But she still holds those fears and her jealousy towards Manik is the same. Someone from her family gave more of his attention to someone other than her and it didn’t settle well and came in form of ignorance and anger. I don’t know if she mentioned it, but the way Nandini avoids Manik is not like how you avoided Nandini. It was different and simply painful. It was outright rudeness so I try my best to not invite Nandini to friends or party gatherings where Manik is. I don’t like him getting hurt.”


Somewhere Mukti understood how Nandini could like her parents. Mukti's parents might be indifferent towards Mukti but Nandini was always pampered and not for once her flaws were pointed out maybe cause she was academic and that settled quite well with Nandini and Mutki’s parents both.


“And Mukti, do you know how Manik is?” Cabir smiled, his best friend always manages to do that.” He listens to everyone without interruption. But he talks, talks to just one person and that’s I. But you won’t believe that he talks too rarely, till now too and he might not say and I might not remember almost all except for last time, he shares everything with me when I am drunk and we are alone so not other spectators and listeners. So, in this way, he does not have to keep everything inside himself. He feels satisfied that he shared and didn’t keep it inside himself that might have been bad. For him his sadness is his and it should not affect others around him. He is the master at hiding feelings. I don’t know why he does that though, he knows I am there?” Cabir asked the last part more to himself.


Mukti chuckled, “Because he knows you are there.” Cabir looked at her confused.


“As you said he was always alone and called a mistake; it develops in mind that we are flawed. Then, when someone accepts us we make a better version of ourselves with their help, control the fears and broaden the mind but deep inside we know our flaws as that relationship that we didn’t have always nags. So, it’s like our own self-satisfaction that we get by keeping the people around us happy and not giving them a single reason to be sad from our side; be it from our behavior or our problems. It just helps us to realize we are not a mistake after all because the one who can make at least a person smile is a gift to humankind as in this selfish world, people give money and tears but never love and happiness. It’s like we being selfish.” Mukti added the last part with a wink.


Cabir shook his head and stated, “If this is what you call being selfish then I don’t even want to know what is selfless for you.”


“I can say that too.” Mukti stated, “It’s simple, to be honest. We are never selfless. We don’t know what that means. Whatever we do, we do for our own satisfaction. Every work we do, every person we keep happy, every relation we mend, or every fight we take, it’s for our own selfish reasons. Trust me there is no word as selfless, it’s all about being selfish but that is in a good or bad way. “


“You should give motivational classes, “Cabir said, “Will help many. “


“Now, Cabir, I truly am not someone to motivate others. This was just a thought. And Cabir, I am trying to be a cupid here and you are trying to make me a what? Philosopher?” Come on Cabir; don’t divert the topic from Nandini and Manik.”


“But there’s nothing. I have made my point clear. Nandini cannot love Manik.” Cabir stated.


“What you do not understand is there in that sentence of yours Cabir.” Mukti stated, “Nandini cannot love is not a sentence. Cause she can and she has already. But what you need to understand is if she will hurt Manik or not? And I can guarantee you she will not.”


“How can you be so sure?” Cabir asked with raised brows.


“Answer is something you gave me yourself. As you said, If something bothers Nandini she remains shut in her room with her novel; not go to a party and get drunk to divert her mind. You told me she is competitive. But May I ask did she ever try to be like Manik to you? “


Getting no answer from Cabir, Mukti continued, “I take that as no. Also, you said she does not like anyone to pinpoint her flaws, but do you know what the main flaw was in her own plan for herself. She tried to be jealous of Manik, to avoid Manik, but with just a few encounters she realized something you never realized that he is selfish and flawed.”


Cabir remained silent and Mukti was sure her last words would convince him that Manik and Nandini are supposed to be.


“One cannot accept others' flaws without mocking till they know that they too are not flawless and are still imperfect. And Nandini, she accepted Manik as he is. Her exact words were, “Maybe exactly as I have wanted my forever to be but just a little more flawed, a little more reckless, a little more handsome, a little more selfish, and a little more…loving“ Mukti was sure she got Cabir at this. So, she silently got up to have a few more drinks before calling it a night leaving Cabir to his thoughts.


“But how did you know how to find me? You just came and said, you were Nandini’s friend and she loves my best friend Manik.” Cabir asked before she could leave.


“I have seen you since childhood Cabir. You were that small prankster of our locality whenever you came around at Nandini’s house. Trust me, the damage you have done to my parent's flowerpots, they were so close to banning you in the locality. And about this party, sometimes having party animals as colleagues come in handy. I was sure you would never miss a party on Saturday night and with you already known as the party-loving cousin of Nandini, your invitation was confirmed. So, tried my luck and here you are.”


“You are smart,” Cabir stated.


“It’s just that I think,” Mukti said with a wink and disappeared in the crowd of drunkards leaving Cabir to his thoughts.


It was time to search Mukti’s Instagram id and follow her, thought Cabir, Cupids need to remain in touch.


It was Sunday evening when Cabir finally messaged Mukti who had accepted his follow request just in the morning and followed back too.


He decided to not do any formalities and come to the point of thinking about Mukti’s straightforward character.


Cabir

So, what’s the plan?


Mukti

Plan? What plan?


Cabir

Cupid’s plan?

Mukti

What rubbish is that?

Cabir

You got to be kidding me?

Mukti

???

Cabir

Plan to bring Nandini and Manik together

Plan to be cupids for MaNan

 

Mukti

Oh

Wait…what?

Do we need to plan that?

Cabir

Of course, we need to.

What did you think?

We will just keep them together in a place and ask them to confess.

Mukti

Umm…Yeah

I thought that only.

You will bring Manik to my place where I will call Nandini too 

Just repeat their confession to each other.

Cabir

For a second I thought you were serious.

You are funny Mukti.

Mukti

I am serious Cabir.

Cabir

What the hell?

Cabir:

Have you gone nuts?

And you wanted to be cupid with this plan?

I don’t believe this.

Mukti

That’s not a plan Cabir.

That’s a logical thing to do.

And trust me, it took me exactly 2 hours to think through every loophole.

Cabir

Wait? Loopholes? Is this some business project?

And 2 hours for this crap?

Mukti

Crap? How dare you?

This is unique cupidity and you call it crap.

And may I ask what did you plan that you dare to call my plan a crap?

Cabir

I may not have a plan but this is bullshit.

And if you really think us asking them to confess they will confess then, I must say you are delusional.

Mukti

It’s called being rational. Not delusional.

I will say you are delusional if you think I didn’t think this through.

I have prepared a complete chart of loopholes of how this might not work.

Trust me there was just a 1% chance of this working but guess what?

Cabir

Guess what? There is no chance left now.

Mukti

So much negativity is harmful Cabir.

So, now there is a 100% chance that this will work.

And you are to follow my lead.

Cabir

You really think I will support this.

It. Is. Stupidity. Not. Cupidity

Mukti

With Manik being selfish (selfless as per you), he will never confess.

With Nandini being still uncertain, she will not do so too.

So, we ought to do the confessing part.

 

Cabir

And they will straightforward deny it.

Mukti

I know that.

But when will that talkative nature of yours and logic of mine come in handy.

I will give them logics to support my point. You back me up.

Cabir

Do you think Cupidity is a debate?

Mukti

Nope, I don’t.

But these two are just not …normal.

So this is the most logical thing to do.

Cabir

There is nothing logical in LOVE.

And I am sure you have never known what love is.

Mukti

For the first time, you are right in both statements.

But in this case, this is the only right thing to do.

Mukti

We just have to make them see from our lens, and make them give each other a chance, a start.

Cabir

Since you said ‘right’ instead of logical, I will think this through.

Mukti

Does that mean you are convinced that it will work?

Cabir

Not yet.

But since I don’t have any plan and they have waited enough.

Though I still feel this isn’t going to work.

Mukti

Cabir, we are just giving them a blank page.

They will start their story on their own.

Cabir

I didn’t take you as one to read Romance.

Mukti

I can say the same.

I didn’t take you as one pessimist.

Will just need to remember ‘not to judge a book by its cover’.

Cabir

You should change your name to “Straightforward Cracker”

Mukti

And you too “Humorless Pessimist”

Cabir

How can you call me Humorless?

I am funny okay.

People are fond of me for my jokes.

Mukti

PJs you mean.

Pathetic Jokes of Pathetic Joker.

That will be a small description of your name.

Cabir

Ha-ha. Very funny.

I died laughing.

Mukti

Thanks for the name though.

I like it, defines me.

Also, glad you find me funny.

 

Mukti

I will show you more of my shades next Sunday evening 

with Manik at my place whose address

 I will send it to you later.

Cabir

Why next Sunday?

Mukti

Cabir…you need to learn a lot.

This one week for our MaNan to think everything through?

Come on they have just realized and that someone other than them knows it.

It needs processing and polishing from their side before we give them the final touch.

Cabir

Tell me how much did you think in 2 hours?

Mukti

That was just a joke Cabir. 

You don’t expect me to keep thinking about someone else’s love story 

 I have work to do.

It’s all spontaneous.

What can I do if my sarcasm seems likes seriousness to you.

Cabir

I am signing off Mukti.


Cabir had just one thought in mind, “I don’t know about MaNan, but the day Mukti falls in love or say someone falls in love with Mukti, that day hell will break loose for that Guy cause for this Straightforward Cracker, Love will not be the beauty of fireworks but the blast of bomb and aftereffects.”



While Mukti thought, “I am certain MaNan will get their forever but Cabir will have to first exactly stop opening his mouth to utter those PJs and it will be possible when the girl is really a pro at humor and sarcasm, unlike the Humorless Pessimist who is delusional to think he can be anything but stupid.”


←Previous Chapter



Posts