" "

Friday, August 19, 2022

Hate Story» 4


        f o u r       


" There are no strangers here; Only friends we haven't met yet "

~W.B.Yeats


M A N I K

"Wasn't the Ferris wheel supposed to be the last ? " she raised her eyebrow at me as I turned the car in the direction opposite to the place she was staying. 

"It was the last but last, is never the end." she groaned at that. I didn't understand the meaning of her this groan - if it was of approval or not until she spoke out loud confirming it was seriously of disapproval.

"Was Mukti less that you too started with these riddles? " I could not help but smile at that. Being a writer and that too one of the best  ( if I add ) - talking in riddles was something Mukti was too fond of or, simply habituated to. 

"Trust me, I am not even a percent close to hers." to this she simply shrugged,

" Who knows that better than me? " she continued, " And that's not even the thing that irritates me. It's when I ask her what does that even mean and her simple reply saying..."  which I completed for her.

"You will come to know as the time comes." she gave amused smile at that but then maybe realization dawned upon her that Mukti was no different from people she came across. It's just that she was the same for all but again different and it was hard for the person to depict her personality even if they are too close which included Abhi too.

I am not sure about Nandini though as Mukti and Nandini are not someone who would call each other their soul. They don't even talk for days due to their busy schedule but again they can feel if one is fine or not. 

It's like their soul is connected. 

Now also they are meeting after five years but looking at them anyone will think they are always together but no one knows it's never the case. 


"From Mukti, I remembered, what's with Mukti sending you with me than herself showing you around?" but before she could answer I kept on continuing.." Cause as far as last time I met her she was too excited to meet you then get asked to officially marry my brother? " 

"It's all your brother's fault." I abruptly stooped the car and glared at her. " Excuse me?"

"What? Don't give me that look. " she glared at me too." It's your brother who thinks we can make a perfect couple." I grinned at that and started my car.

"And what do I understand from that?" she asked while rolling her eyes at me. But I didn't reply to that and she didn't pester me. There were a few minutes of silence before I spoke. 

"You are crazy you know that right ? " she kept glancing out the windows to the passing world outside engrossed in their own world.

"And I thought we got over that?"

"I can never get over that .." she looked at me this time and I too looked at her .." Not after today at least." she rolled her eyes before speaking. 

"Not again. You seriously think what we did today comes under crazy?" her voice was filled with irritation but I am someone who loves to irritate people - though I know my limit.

"So where were we? " I asked but was not sure she would reply but she did and that amused me. 

How could I forget she was different? 

Different in a whole different way.

"Outside the silent disco. "

"What was that?" I asked while catching my breath after all the running we did though it was not even that long.

"I don't know." she was panting too. Finally, our breathing was normal and we looked at each other to laugh till our stomachs hurt. 

Any passerby would have thought we had run away from any mental asylum or, in a quiet sensible, smelled laughing gas.

"So now Murthy, don't you want to go to the silent disco ? " my tone was mocking and she rolled her eyes but still replied.

"I still want to but not here at least. It was a lifetime experience " she said and I gave a laugh which she waved off.

"So what's next ? " she asked. 

"Why? Don't you have anywhere else to go ? " but trust me it was like digging your own grave.

"I was just waiting for that. So the next destination is a dance workshop. Also, we cannot miss it as it's the last day today . " she didn't just say that. And the grin on her face sounds like an alarm.

"You didn't mean it right?" I tried my luck but whom was I kidding?

"You wish. " 

"You know I cannot dance then?"

"Trust me. Mukti said the same but it turned out to be otherwise. It was just that she never tried to and I am quite sure it's the same with you."

"And what if I do something embarrassing ? " she grinned at that " ...then do what you are best at. Sing. They will forget everything and admire you."

"Though I don't want to admit it, you make it sound so simple. " 

"I know I am great right ." and people called me self-obsessed. They should meet her. 

—————————


"Nandini, are you sure?" this was like the hundredth time I had asked her since we reached the workshop's gate to this hall where people are already crowded to dance and every time her answer has been the same. 

"Never been so sure. Now come." saying so she pulled me into the crowd of people.

Looking around the crowd I noticed I was not the only person who was messing up with steps and was not able to copy those properly.  

And suddenly the music stopped and an announcement,

"Hey, dear dancers! I know I know some are really really new in here and don't even know to coordinate their hands and legs *chuckles ...but trust me it's because you never tried. Try and you will know what it's like to go with the flow of music and slay your body.  

And now, we just came up with this idea of dancing in couples. "

Everyone started to murmur.

"Nandini, it's better we leave. I cannot risk you falling." I whisper said.

"Manik, I know to dance. You don't know. So, the risk of you falling is more." she added as a matter of fact and I could not say anything. That was true.

"But also, what if you fall? Let's just go." I again tried my luck with famous what if...

"Don't worry Manik, If I fall I will make sure you fall with me so no worries," she added with a grin and looked towards the front when they again spoke.

Where am I stuck? 

"Okay okay. Time's up. So where was I? Yeah, so in couples does not mean only a girl and boy. In dance, it's not just couples but dancing couples and it may be anyone. We will give you guys numbers and you can be paired with anyone. *murmurs...I get that you guys don't know each other but is not that the whole point of this workshop... 

Getting to know a stranger or, making it the stranger who is connected to you through dance. So here you go. You have 15 minutes to find yourself, and your partner. Hurry up!"

Till the announcement was going on we were already made to choose our numbers by picking one from the bowl. 

And see my luck. Nandini was not my partner and I don't even know what I was going to do with whoever I get paired with. And here madam was so excited to dance, left me alone to go and search for her partner.

"And looking at your face I can clearly say that dance is till now not your cup of ?" a girl was there holding the same number as mine making her my dance partner and she made sure to emphasize on till now and I completed for her.

"Let's keep it tea only..." I said while forwarding my hand .." though I prefer coffee more." but her request just shook me, not really though.

"I would prefer a hug more you know. " looking at my confused face she continued.."it's not every day we get to meet our singing sensation that too in a field completely opposite from his field."

"You know me?" I asked unsurely and it sounded so silly that she chuckled.

"Not just me but I guess most of them do .." looking at my face with confusion clearly written she added.." You may be thinking why is there no crowd then it's not that we don't want to meet you, it's just everyone knows that you guys too have a personal life outside of that glamour and it's sometimes good to give that privacy. Also, since you were here without any guards means it was surely personal so no one made it difficult for you by risking your safety by announcing to the world who you are. " I could only aww at them. 

They are the type of fans whom each and every person would want. But maybe it's just the start and the change is coming. Maybe artists too would get to go everywhere without the fear of getting into any unwanted controversy. 

And without thinking anything I just pulled her into a friendly hug and trust me I was so happy. Though this idea of Nandini was crazy, now I am loving it. Though don't accept it in front of her.

Our little chat session was broken by Nandini's voice.

"Manik, here you are. I was searching for you. Here, this is my dance partner Mannat and do you know what, she too loves classical dancing. " Nandini added with a grin and I could only chuckle at her this excitement. 

"Hi, Mannat.." I forwarded my hand but I guess she was too excited just like Nandini that she hugged me directly but it was quick and broke it also. 

"Finally, I got to meet you. Now I won't have to make this idiot realize that you are not cute. You are handsome." Mannat said while pointing towards my partner and she smacked her head.

When I looked at my partner she grinned and added,

"Can't help it, it's just that I always found you cute, and trust me, you are so cute." I could not help but smile at this and added...

"And you are not the first one to say that. There's someone else too."

"I know that. It's Abhi Bhai/Abhi sir right." Mannat and Nandini added with a grin and hi-fi but before I could deny my partner spoke.

"Nope. You are wrong. It's Mukti Ma'am. Am I right or am I right?" she asked me and I grinned at her.

"How do you know about that?" Nandini asked her but instead of my partner, Mannat replied...

"You are talking to the greatest fan of Mukti Vardhan. If Aayu goes missing, you can find her with Mukti mam's book in hand in one corner so engrossed. Also, there's not even one interview she would have missed until now with her favorite writer. " Ayat looked here and there since her little secret was out in open.

"Then maybe I can invite this fan to Mukti's wedding," Nandini said and that look on the girls was worth watching.

"Mukti's wedding as in Mukti Vardhan. The famous writer's wedding? " Ayat asked unsure while Nandini and I nodded.

"But for me, how? And you?" 

"Too bad, I thought you will know about Mukti's Nandini too. " I added while Nandini smacked my head and I wined.

"You are Nandini. As in Mukti's Nandini." Mannat asked unsure while Nandini winked at her and the next second she was taken in a hug by both of the over-excited girls. 

Trust me, they were not even a percent excited to meet me like they are doing with Nandini.

"You know your friendship has always been our inspiration. You guys are friendship goals for us. There's not even one interview when Mukti ma'am doesn't speak about you and her every book is always dedicated to you. Though she never posted your photo as she always said Nandini is not fond of the public profile so meeting you was my all-time dream and it came true. I have not spoken so much for long. I am so excited."  my partner was too excited. And from this I remembered, I still don't know her name.

"So that's why I am inviting you personally to Mukti's wedding. You are most welcome. Just give me your number and I will send the details with the invitation." 

"Thank u so much, ma'am. It will be like my only dream come true. " I broke their little session of happiness for now.

"By the way, I didn't even get to catch my partner's name?" 

"Aayat. Aayat Malhotra," she said while forwarding her hand. 

"Was that original or you are just copying me? " I teased her.

"Sorry to burst your bubble but Aayat never copies. It's original," she added with a grin.

"That means you are my sister. And Abhi will be too happy to have a sister by her side. "  

"Actually not one but to. It's my twin sister, Mannat Malhotra. And she loves to dance ." Aayat added with a sad pout at last and I hi-fi with her.

"So what? I am in her team. " and Nandini and Mannat hi-fi. 

But our chat session was interrupted by the announcement.

"Time's up guys. I hope you guys have found your partner. Let's start then.." 

Nandini and manat being dancers were already starting with the steps and Aayat and I were looking at each other's faces with a horrified look.

"Don't tell me you too don't understand how they say Any Body Can Dance?" Aayat asked and I nodded,

"Since both don't know, by chance if we do something wrong both will be embarrassed so let's do it.." I said and she nodded.


"So, how was it?" Nandini asked as she put on her seat belt. 

"Except for the four or five times we both tripped, it was not that bad actually."  she laughed at my reply, and seriously it was hilarious. But in the end, Aayat and I came to the conclusion that if we try, we will do it. 

"Not again Nandini " I spoke embarrassed. Mannat and Nandini didn't leave even one opportunity to make fun of us. Trust me we were that bad but not actually. There were ones who were now also confident, dance was not for them.

After the couples dance was done, the workshop still had many things but since we could not spend the whole day, we decided to leave but at that time, finally my fans cum family decided to meet me and it took us nearly half an hour or more to get out of that crowd.

And before bidding bye, Aayat had whispered in my ear.

"I don't know what the future held but you guys seem to make a perfect pair. And this, I am saying from experience. " she hugged me one last time followed by Mannat and we left.

Till now Nandini had stopped laughing and I had parked ourselves in the parking of our next destination.

"WELCOME TO ZIPFLYER's " Nandini read the word's out loud and the color from her face faded. Now is the revenge time.

"Let's go somewhere else. I cannot do this thing. " Nandini said at once and was about to turn but I was quick enough to hold her. 

"No way we are going back. You made me do something I could not now it's your turn. And you have no choice." I made my voice strict but whom was I kidding?

"Manik Malhotra, this is not funny. I am afraid of heights."

"Yeah yeah, and I am standing on top of the world." I too mocked her but she gave that it was not a funny look.

"Trust me, Abhi said the same but it turned out to be otherwise. It was just that he never went to any place in height. And I am sure you are the same " I copy-pasted her own words which she had used earlier.

"And what if I fall?" 

"I will be there to hold you." and I thought I will get a proper response.

"In your dreams," she said and I took that as my cue to take her and buy our tickets.

"Manik, think again. I am afraid of height. I start to shiver and sweat in height." 

"I know." her eyes went wide at this.

"You know ?" she asked and I shrugged casually.

"Yep, Mukti told me. And she had said that you will try to avoid it as much as possible but I cannot let that happen. That was the reason why I agreed to you earlier."

"Vardhan, you are so gone," she whispered to herself but I heard that and rolled my eyes. 

Till now it was already our turn. And we were made to wear our helmets and harness and all required for our safety and the adventure.

We were climbing the stairs to go to the place from where we were about to start and trust me she was scared would be an understatement.

 After reaching the highest point  Nandini was going to see from a height but I made her turn towards me and made her look into my eyes.

"Face your fear Nandini . " she just nodded but her eyes were already teary. So I added,

"Mukti had also said, Be afraid of height but never be afraid of flying. She wants you to do it for her. Let it go Nandini." and she blinked her tears back. 

I hope she does that. I don't want her to be sick though. 

We were already tied with harness and zipline and slowly they made us move and we were in the air. It was just 1 minute ride. 

Nandini had her eyes closed so I shouted.

"Open your eyes Nandini. See yourself fly. Don't look down but look around."

I could not see if she did open her eyes or not but, I hope she did.

Finally, I reached and Nandini followed.

As soon as she was freed from everything, she hugged me.

"Thank u so much Manik. Though I am not thinking of trying it again, it was worth it for a first-time experience. Not that bad. " slowly and hesitatingly I too wrapped my hand around her torso and we stood there in each other's embrace for some time.

Her breathing was still rapid but she was calming down but mine was beating rapidly and I don't know why.

—————————


My memory retrieve was broken when Nandini spoke.

"And you think what you made me do was not crazy. Making me fly that's what you call it, was nowhere was not crazy. I could have had a heart attack. "

"Hey, not my fault. It was your best friend's idea." I too blamed Mukti.

"She won't ever risk my life." her voice sharp and clear.

"Then ?" I raised my eyebrows and she went silent. 

"And the next thing was gate-crashing someone's wedding. Don't that count under crazy?" I asked and she turned to look at me with narrowed eyes.

"No, it does not. And also, it's not gate crashing. It was going uninvited and there is a huge difference."

"Yeah yeah and I.."

"I am standing on top of the world.  That's so old-fashioned now. " she mocked me while I rolled my eyes.

"But at last, you agreed it was crazy. " I grinned and she huffed but agreed.

"It's only because the fifth destination was fair and I had the best time there except the part I had to hold you on the Ferris wheel." and I could not help but give a full-blown smile at that.

I had parked my car and we were on the beach moving barefoot on the shore with water touching our legs. After walking for some distance, we decided to sit with the waves coming and playing with our feet.

Stargazing sitting on a beach at the night was always so peaceful and now it was no different.

After what seemed like an eternity Nandini asked me something with her eyes still fixed in the twinkling stars...

"Why did you smile when I told you earlier that Abhi Bhai thought we could make a perfect couple?" 

"To be honest, I don't know," I replied sincerely and turned to look at her and she too turned to look at me. 

Our eyes were locked.

" But I just know what we did today was not something any two strangers who met for the first time do in their first meet.  "


˜"*°•.˜"*°•And without even knowing he promised to hold her.

And after denying too she let him do it.

And both knew it's not what strangers who met for the first time do.•°*"˜.•°*"˜

ᴅᴀᴛᴇ: 12ᴛʜ ᴊᴀɴᴜᴀʀʏ, 2019



←Previous Chapter

Next Chapter→

Posts